Article by Ontario Government
Ontario has passed new laws about how, where and who can buy, possess and consume cannabis in the province. These rules are similar to those in place for alcohol and tobacco, with some differences.
Medical cannabis will continue to be subject to different rules than recreational cannabis.
When cannabis will be legal?
Rrecreational Cannabis will be legal October 17, 2018.
Minimum age will be 19
You will need to be 19 and older to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis. This is the same as the minimum age for the sale of tobacco and alcohol in Ontario.
Where to use cannabis in Ontario
You will only be able to use recreational cannabis in:
- a private residence, including the outdoor space of a home (for example, a porch or back yard)
- your unit or on your balcony, if you live in a multi-unit building like an apartment or condo, but that depends on your building’s rules or your lease agreement
You will not be allowed to use recreational cannabis in:
- any public place
- motorized vehicles
Using cannabis in public can result in a fine of up to:
- $1,000 for a first offence
- $5,000 for subsequent offences
Driving with cannabis in Ontario
It is illegal to drive drug-impaired and it’s just as dangerous as driving drunk.Cannabis, like many other drugs, slows your reaction time and increases your chances of being in a collision.
If a police officer finds that you are impaired by any drug, including cannabis, you will face serious penalties, including:
- an immediate licence suspension
- financial penalties
- possible vehicle impoundment
- possible criminal record
- possible jail time
Police officers will be authorized to use oral fluid screening devices at roadside. Once a federally approved device is available, we will implement the use of those devices to help police enforce the law.
Zero tolerance for young, novice and commercial drivers
You will not be allowed to have any cannabis in your system (as detected by a federally approved oral fluid screening device) if you are driving a motor vehicle and:
- you are 21 or under
- have a G1, G2, M1 or M2 licence
- the vehicle you are driving requires an A-F driver’s licence or Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration (CVOR)
- you are driving a road-building machine
Where to buy recreational cannabis in Ontario
When it’s legal, people 19 and over will be able to purchase cannabis in-person or online through the Ontario Cannabis Store. Online orders will be delivered safely and securely.
You will be able to purchase up to 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried recreational cannabis for personal use at one time.
The Ontario Cannabis Store will be the only store that can legally sell recreational cannabis and will follow strict rules set by the federal government.
How much cannabis you will be able to possess
You will be able to have a maximum of 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried cannabis in public at any time.
Growing cannabis in Ontario
You will be able to grow up to four plants per residence (not per person). You will be able to purchase legal seeds and seedlings from the Ontario Cannabis Store.
Rules for cannabis in the workplace
We already have strict rules in place to make sure workplaces are safe.
Consuming recreational cannabis in the workplace is illegal, and will continue to be after legalization.
Employers (and supervisors):
- need to know the rules for medical cannabis
- will be required to address workplace hazards, under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
Employees and workers:
- who are unable or unfit to work safely could be a hazard to themselves or to others in the workplace
- have a duty to perform work safely and to report any hazards to their supervisor or employer under the OHSA
Medical cannabis is subject to different rules than recreational cannabis. The production and sale of medical cannabis is regulated exclusively by the federal government.
If a health care professional has already authorized you to use cannabis for medical reasons, your access will not change when recreational cannabis is legal.
The only way to purchase medical cannabis is from:
- a federally licensed producer online
- by written order
- over the phone and delivered by secure mail
You can also receive a licence from Health Canada to grow medical cannabis on you own, or designate someone else to grow it on your behalf.