Article by Angela Stelmakowich, Growth Op
Members of the Port Alberni Fire Department were ready to battle a blaze in the former Acklands-Grainger building on 3rd Avenue, but upon arriving found out there were no flames to douse.
Responding to a 911 call reporting heavy smoke on Jan. 21, firefighters arrived to find what looked to be smoke coming from the roof and an electrical fire smell in the air, Vancouver Island Free Daily cites Chief Wes Patterson as saying.
When crews checked out the roof of the building, there was no fire, but the “smoke” seemed to be originating inside the building. Entering the building, they quickly determined that it was a vent, not smoke, issue. The electricity and natural gas to the building were cut off to allow for a full investigation.
There were two people working inside the building, but no injuries.