Article by NetNewsLedger
A Thunder Bay man faces a number of charges following an OPP traffic stop for speeding near Wawa Ontario. His passenger, a man from Barrie Ontario was also arrested and charged with having proceeds of a crime in his possession.
OPP reports that on June 29, 2020, at approximately 7:30 pm EDT, a member of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police was conducting speed enforcement on Highway 17 near the Coldwater River.
The officer observed a southbound motor vehicle operating at a high rate of speed. After a traffic stop was initiated, the driver provided a false name to the officer but provided his real name after being confronted about the first. The driver was found to have multiple driving suspensions and was subsequently placed under arrest.
A search of the vehicle incident to arrest yielded a large quantity of Canadian currency which was seized as proceeds of crime.
As a result of the investigation, Renardo TAYLOR, 30 years-of-age, from Thunder Bay, was charged with the following:
- Obstruct Peace Officer, contrary to section 129(a) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Operation While Prohibited under the CC, contrary to section 320.18(1)(a) of the CC (Two Counts),
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA),
- Speeding, contrary to section 128 of the HTA, and
- Drive vehicle with cannabis readily available, contrary to section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act (CCA).