Article by Joanna Lavoie, Scarborough Mirror
Toronto police have issued a public safety alert after a child accidentally ate a piece of candy infused with cannabis.
On Tues., March 2, at about 9:30 p.m., officers from Scarborough’s 43 Division were called by Toronto Paramedic Services to a hospital after a child reportedly consumed a “Buzzy Peach.”
Investigators said two children were reportedly in an apartment with their mother when one of them found a package of “Buzzy Peaches” and ate one of the candies.
The mother immediately called for an ambulance after realizing what had happened, police said.
The child was treated and released from the hospital.
An initial investigation determined the product was purchased legally and no criminal charges are expected at this time.
Nonetheless, Toronto police are reminding parents and caregivers that cannabis and cannabis-related products are dangerous if consumed by children.