Drama in the LP Scene: Cannimed Acquires Up Cannabis, Aurora Gets Hostile

Article by Mike Okada, Cannabis Life Network


On Friday, Nov. 17, CanniMed Therapeutics Inc. (TSX: CMED) announced its acquisition of Newstrike Resources Ltd.(TSX Venture: HIP) in an all-stock agreement while ignoring Aurora Cannabis’ unsolicited acquisition offer, prompting Aurora to launch a formal takeover bid for CanniMed.

CanniMed’s acquisition of Newstrike was a strategic move to get into Canada’s recreational and medical markets, and the company hopes to reach a targeted production capacity of 45,000 kg of cannabis per year by 2019. Newstrike, which is backed by the Tragically Hip (which explains its “HIP” ticker symbol), is the parent company of Up Cannabis Inc., an Ontario-based licensed producer.

The details of the CanniMed and Newstrike deal

The deal, which is still subject to shareholder approval, will see the creation of a combined entity with a market cap in excess of $500 million.

Newstrike shareholders will receive 0.033 CanniMed common shares for each Newstrike common share they own. Once the deal is completed and approved, Newstrike will be a wholly-owned subsidiary of CanniMed, according to the press release, and CanniMed shareholders will own approximately 65% of the combined entity and Newstrike shareholders will own the other 35%.

Brent Zettl, CanniMed’s CEO and President, said, “This is a transformational strategic acquisition for our company, which will position CanniMed and Up Cannabis [whose parent company is Newstrike] together as premium players in the emerging recreational cannabis marketplace”.

The agreement also contains non-solicitation provisions although there are certain circumstances where either company may terminate the deal if they receive a better offer- but the company who terminates will have to pay a termination fee. For CanniMed, the termination fee is $9.5 million (CAD), and for Newstrike, that fee is $5 million (CAD).

Certain Newstrike shareholders also get to nominate two board members with the right to nominate one person to the board each year as long as they hold a minimum of 10% of CanniMed stock.

Read full article here.

About Dankr NewsBot

Beep Boop. I'm just a bot who brings you the dankest news in the biz

One comment

  1. Let the Government LP’s do battle within their ranks and take each other down eventually with greed. I cannot believe how many new LP’s the Government enables while promising to spend millions taking down the free market dispensaries. Sounds like Alberta are combining current grey market storefronts with their own online system which is a fair way to proceed. The Feds have left way too many details up to the Provinces and they will all have their own set of standards and rules – WOW how confusing for Canadians. This whole criminalized Legalization is a disgusting mess and will plug more court time and spend untold huge$$$ to what?, establish more rules for a plant that is supposed to be LEGAL!!

Leave a Reply

Powered by Dragonballsuper Youtube Download animeshow