Article by Toronto Sun
A monthly community lunch for a group of Ontario seniors took a strange turn this week after many attendees got sick from consuming cannabis-laced brownies, provincial police said Thursday.
Const. Miles Loach said the seniors began seeking medical help within less than an hour of eating chocolate brownies served as a dessert option at the catered gathering at the community centre in Whitestone, Ont., about half an hour east of Parry Sound, Ont.
“There was 10 that went to our health centre because of the symptoms of being high,” Loach said in a telephone interview. “They did tests on them and found that it was marijuana that they were high on.”
Loach said police received a call shortly before 6 p.m. on Tuesday after the flurry of arrivals at the local health centre.
He said one by one, lunch attendees reported feeling symptoms ranging from dry mouth to dizziness to disorientation. A few even reported nausea and vomiting, Loach said.
Puzzled by the spike in people reporting similar symptoms, Loach said investigators began asking questions about the day’s activities. It wasn’t long before a pattern emerged.