Article by CBC News
A numbered company that’s a winner in Ontario’s latest cannabis store lottery is proposing to open up at the same Toronto address as the illegal cannabis dispensary CAFE, which has repeatedly been shut down by police.
But the sole director of that numbered company, film producer and director Rob Heydon, says he has “no connection” to CAFE or the people behind it.
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) on Wednesday announced 42 lottery winners — 4,800 people or companies had expressed interest in opening a legal pot shop — that will now have the chance to open a legal store. The full list is at the bottom of this story.
Among the winners was 11180673 Canada Inc., which listed 104 Harbord St. as its proposed retail location — where one of CAFE’s four outlets is currently based.
CAFE, which stands for Cannabis and Fine Edibles, has repeatedly flouted cannabis laws and police have raided the Harbord Street location at least four times. The City of Toronto says as of Aug. 8, a dozen charges had been laid under the provincial Cannabis Control Act in relation to the pot shop.
The city says three of those charges are against the property owner, Ali Gillani, under a section of the law aimed at landlords who “knowingly permit a premises” to be used for illegal cannabis activity.
City officials, meanwhile, were forced to place giant concrete blocks in front of CAFE locations to stop the company from operating.
Applicants had to secure retail space, capital to open
Unlike the first lottery, applicants in the latest draw had to show that they had secured retail space that could be used as a store if they were selected, and that they had enough capital — access to at least $250,000 — to open it.
The winners now have until Aug. 28 to complete an application to open a store that will be vetted by the AGCO.
The 42 stores will be distributed regionally. In addition to the 13 in Toronto, there will be:
- Six going to the Greater Toronto Area.
- 11 in the west region.
- Seven going to the east region.
- In the north, one each in Kenora, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay and Timmins.
Here’s the full list of those who won a cannabis retail licence in the second AGCO lottery:
- 9247220 Canada Ltd., 570 Bloor St. W.
- Najla Guthrie, 964 Kingston Rd.
- 11180673 Canada Inc., 104 Harbord St.
- 1916384 Alberta Ltd., 619 King St. W.
- Jason Krulicki, 2480-2490 Gerrard St. E., Unit 20A.
- Brian F. Parker, 1303 Queen St. E.
- 2197130 Alberta Ltd., 1180 Queen St. W.
- Varant Kichian, 213 Queen St. E.
- Maria Laura Rasile, 237 Queen St. W.
- Helene Vassos, 730 Danforth Avenue, Suite 1.
- 2464 Dufferin Inc., 2464 Dufferin St.
- 2708654 Ontario Ltd., 501 Church St.
- Junaid Khan, 815 Queen St. W.
- Cory Floyd Cacciavillani, 1025 Plains Rd. E., Burlington.
- Ekrem Uzunova, 20 Simcoe St. S., Oshawa.
- Grant Willson, 15243 Yonge St., Unit 3, Aurora.
- Corner Grass Corp., 5779 Main St., Unit 105, Stouffville.
- Ravino Junaev, 20 Simcoe St. S., Oshawa.
- 2674620 Ontario Limited, 1505 Guelph Line, Unit 3-4, Burlington.
- Patricia, Gertrude, Donnelly, 589 Fairview Rd. S., Kitchener.
- Noah Soberano, 1135 Richmond St., London.
- 2249364 Ontario Inc., 1400 Upper James St. Suite 8, Hamilton.
- Pietro Greco, 115 Division St., Welland.
- Kyriakos G. Anastasiadis, 545 Ouellette Ave., Windsor.
- 11535447 Canada Corp., 1338 S. Service Rd., Building C 5 Unit 2, Winona Crossing Shopping Centre, Stoney Creek.
- Robert Chomiak, 1310 Fanshawe Park Rd. W., Unit F1, London.
- Bara Bahlul, 8685 Lundy’s Lane, Unit 6, Niagara Falls.
- Eleonora Plata, 1142 Wilson St. W., Unit 9, Ancaster.
- Hratch Abrahamian, 395 Ontario St., Suite B2, St. Catharines.
- John Reynolds, 120 Wyndham St. N., Guelph.
- Ronen Ackerman, 2008 Commerce Park Dr., Innisfil.
- Ethan Stark, 4335 Strandherd Dr., Unit 3, 4, 5, Nepean.
- Huge Shops Ontario Inc., 566 Frank Hill Rd., Peterborough.
- German Olga, 1988 Commerce Park Dr., Innisfil.
- Ilim Uzunova, 1982 Commerce Park Dr., Innisfil.
- Louis Laskovski, 312 Hurontario St., Collingwood.
- Sofia Kuliev, 65 Collier St., Barrie.
- Thomas Miszuk, 317 Northern Ave. S., Sault Ste. Marie.
- CC alliance, 273 Pine St. S., Timmins.
- Carl Ignatius, 420 Second St. S., Kenora.
- Gerald Harrison, 1802 Victoria Ave. E., Thunder Bay.
- Lorne J. Fine, 390 Lakeshore Dr., Suite 3, North Bay.