Article by New Cannabis Ventures
Hemp Business Journal (HBJ), the definitive source for market sizes and high-level analysis of business trends in the hemp industry, followed up its initial market research piece, The State of Hemp, with the recently published The CBD Report. The 40-page report, which provides data and analysis for the cannabidiol (CBD) industry, includes insights from interviews with dozens of industry leaders.
Publisher Sean Murphy and Director of Research Carla Ooyen set the tone with an overview of the CBD market and how it will evolve over the next few years, with the U.S. dispensary channel increasing from $123mm in 2015 to over $1.6 billion by 2020, while the total market, which includes the natural and specialty retail channel, mass market retail, the practitioner channel, the Internet, smoke shops and pharmaceuticals as well, will grow from $202mm to $2.1 billion. HBJ partnered with BDS Analytics as part of its research effort as it created this insightful review and outlook for each of the sales channels.
The report also includes several other articles:
- Cannabidiol Delivery Systems, Product Types and Emerging Issues (Richard Rose and David Bonvillain, with support from Kevin McKernan)
- CBD Consumer Products Sales up 1,710%, Primarily from Natural Retail Channel (Steven Hoffman)
- Cannabidiol – Extracting Ancient Knowledge (Franziska Borgogno)
- Barriers to Entry: US Customs’ Evolving Policy on Importing and Exporting Hemp (Robert Hoban and Garrett Graff)
- Confessions of a CBD Extractor (Josh Raderman)
- CBD Patent Review (Richard Rose)
- The State of Scheduling (The Medicinal Hemp Association)
The final part of The CBD Report introduces readers to some of the leading companies in the industry. Investor Diligence Guide: Hemp & CBD Best of Breed Company Overview is a joint effort from Rockies Venture Club and HBJ, and it includes profiles on Atalo Holdings, Bluebird Botanicals, CBDRx, Colorado Cultivars, CV Sciences (OTC: CVSI), CW Hemp, Dixie Brands, Elite Cannabis Enterprises, Folium Biosciences, GenCanna, New West Genetics, Pure Hemp Botanicals, and MediQi Energetics. This is information that is very difficult to gather that should be very useful to both investors and operators in the industry, and I look forward to future research that broadens the coverage further.