Article byJessie Moore, Seattle Times
Easter candy lovers, rejoice: these homemade creme eggs combine one of your favorite springtime treats with a delicious dose of cannabutter!
These chocolate eggs may look quite innocent, but they have a surprise inside. As you bite through the chocolate coating and sweet vanilla filling, you’ll discover a core of cannabutter that is bound to make this an Easter unlike any other. They’re easy to make and the effects are long-lasting, so you’re bound to be enjoying these long after the Easter egg hunt is over.
Homemade creme eggs
- 1 stick (4 ounces) regular, unaltered, unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 7 ounces milk chocolate or dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup cannabutter * (1 teaspoon per candy), slightly cool
Note: This recipe can be made with regular cannabutter or vegan cannabutter.
- Combine the butter, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high for about 3 minutes, or until creamy. Add the sugar, one cup at a time, until the mixture has thickened to the texture of Play-Doh.
- Grab a teaspoon of your cannabutter; since it is slightly cool, you should be able to easily roll it into a ball. Then, grab a heaping tablespoon of white dough, and roll it into a (larger) ball. Flatten the white dough slightly to make an indent. Place the cannabutter ball in the center, then gently wrap the white dough around the yellow dough, covering it all around. Shape into an egg shape. Continue with all of the portions of dough, wrapping a teaspoon of cannabutter into each, until you’ve run out of dough. I got about 24 eggs from this batch.